Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Islamic art with Constructive Triangles an Extension

Geometry and Islamic Art

Geometric patterns in Islamic art have always intrigued me. I have been waiting to explore them with my kids. So when a friend lent me this book, I started making mental notes on how to go about with a lesson using the book. Lil Muallim # 1 read the book, but I failed to take out time to actually work with it with him.


Lo and behold the day came for me to return the book, so our morning started with this fabulous lesson which really developed itself. What followed was one our best homeschool lessons. Alhumdolillah !

CREATING A DESIGN WITH POLYGONS AND STARS BY STARTING WITH A CIRCLE

Honestly speaking Lil Muallim #1 was quite surprised when I showed him how to make a circle using marker in a compass. 



The following markings and designs were made by him.






MAKING AN 8 POINTED STAR BY EXTENDING THE LINES OF A SQUARE





STUDYING ISLAMIC ART WITH CONSTRUCTIVE TRIANGLES

Following is a not a Montessori activity as I know of but a self created extension. Lil Muallim feels there are more Montessori materials in our home for the lil one than for him. I used this opportunity to show him how he could create his own Constructive Triangles Extension. 

We used  3 constructive triangle boxes, the triangle and small and large hexagon, to make and explore different Islamic Geometric patterns as highlighted in the book.
HEXAGON


6 POINTED STAR



DEVELOPING MORE COMPLEX DESIGN VARIATIONS





HEXAGON BRAIN TEASER

Many years ago I had done a lesson on bee hives with Lil Muallim #1, on how perfectly the bees make their hives with all hexagon cells exactly the same. Subhanallah! 

So after Lil Muallim # 1 made the following showing how two triangles fit in between two hexagons, I asked him......
 "How come there weren`t any triangles in between the hexagons in a bee hive ?  


He looked closely at the pattern above moved out the two triangles and moved the hexagon side ways saying ... ``That`s because they are attached this way`` Now that self discovery is priceless.


Following are a few more of his design formations.





I am looking into buying these pattern blocks or something similar to explore tessellation  If any of you have suggestions please share in the comments :)


I've linked this activity up on Living Montessori Now's

Montessori Monday

Update: Many thanks to Deb Chintwood of  Living Montessori now for adding my link in her DIY Construction Triangle post after my Monday Montessori link up.

4 comments:

NoorJanan Homeschool said...

This is a great post, MashaAllah. Thank you so much for sharing, another book I must get.

Umm Umamah said...

Thank you very much. We enjoyed it too Alhumdolillah!

Deb Chitwood said...

This is amazing! What beautiful designs and a wonderful extension to constructive triangles. Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I added your post link to my post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/10/29/montessori-monday-diy-constructive-triangles/

Umm Umamah said...

Thanks Deb. Glad to know you liked it. Thanks for adding the link too :)You are doing an awesome service by collecting and sharing all the wonderful sources.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...