Monday, April 25, 2011

Earthquakes and Us

 JAPAN EARTHQUAKE 
AND 
MY PERSONAL RECOLLECTIONS


Deavastation beyond imagination!

Japan-Earthquake-March-11-2011 




Before I move on to my personal recollections,  I would like to share two very mind blowing links I came across for Japan Earthquake 



1. Hear the sound of the deadly 9.01 magnitude, tsunami-triggering earthquake, sped up 16 times. 

2. Japan Quake Map Animation.......it shows 1087 earthqukaes popping around Japan in circles, wait till 15 seconds pass and the animation becomes eye popping

    Japan_Earthquake_LO_3427160_embedded_prod_affiliate_156 Picture of a tsunami flooding a road after the Japan earthquake Picture of a boat resting on a building after the Japan tsunami   


The Japan Earthquake 2011 has been  one of the worst in Japan. 

With all the devastation caused the actual impact cannot be measured, especially with the nuclear reactors melting how all this is going to affect us globally is a big question mark. For no matter what 'they' say and proclaim, even they themselves can only make assumptions. 

For me natural disasters have become a way of getting closer to Allah........I try to ponder and contemplate about such incidences, but the Turkish Earthquake of  1999, the 2004 tsunami and the Pakistan Earthquake of 2005 hit me the hardest emotionally. The devastations were mind blowing, the stories were heart wrenching. I followed up on these incidents closely, and about them. I may blog about my personal notes about those one day. I often wonder how I would react if I was in such a situation. 
  • Submitting to His Ultimate Power
  • Accepting my limitaions
  • Remembering the perished nations and their ignorance 
Earthquakes really are a lot more than a natural phenomena and an important topic to teach children, safety, compassion and geography. It is a way of recognizing the Power of God and our own limitations. He (Allah) has bestowed us with the capabilities to prepare, get seismographic readings, satellite photos, maps and even fore warn, but all that does not ensure complete safety. What it does is, test us in so many ways:


  • How will we react in a time of such calamity ?
  • What will we do for others in such a situation ?
  • Will we remember Allah (God) and seek His protection ?
  • Will we complain ? 
  • Will we realize anything?
  • Will we change our ways for the better in any way?
  • Will we remember or get sucked into the dunya again ?
This thought process of mine came about after a very strangely ignorant reaction I had during an earthquake back home in early 1999......


It was early in the morning. First I heard rumbling but wasn't sure what it was, I started walking towards my running washing machine wondering if that's where the noise was coming from. As I walked beside my dining room hutch I realized all the decorated glassware was rattling inside it. That made me realize it was an earthquake and our apartment building was shaking and the pipelines outside were clanging . I first held onto my dining hutch to ensure it wouldn't fall off, then I ran to my husband to tell him what was happening my heart beating. Saying may Allah make it fine in was something natural but once it was all over I realized how empty and ignorant my reaction was:
  • It didn't occur to me, that it could have gotten worse...it could have been my end as it was many in other areas, where the tremors hit the hardest
  • It didn't occur to me to pray to Allah for forgiveness and protection 
  • I didn't think of my Akhirah
I hope we all wake up and mend our ways before it's too late!

Dunya (the world) compared to Akhirah (the eternal life!)




Surah Al Waqiah - The Event (i.e. The Day of Resurrection)
(you may cry!)



Allah Says.......

أَفَلَا يَتَدَبَّرُونَ ٱلۡقُرۡءَانَ أَمۡ عَلَىٰ قُلُوبٍ أَقۡفَالُهَآ (٢٤)
Will they then not meditate on the Qur'an, or are there locks on the hearts? (24) 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...