Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fractions # 1 Introduction

Introducing Fractions

This post has been long due and is about something I did early last year with Lil Muallim # 2. Before formally introducing fractions to kids I think we introduce it in so many ways in our daily life.

We've all heard the following in our homes...

"I don't want this cookie it's broken in half!"


"Two slices out of the eight are mine!"

I want one whole whole roti"


My point being the concept was already there. Now there was a need to look at it mathematically. I tried the same thing with Lil Muallim # 2 taht I had done with Lil Muallim # 1, a few years ago.

  •  I took some scrap paper and folded them in halves and quarters. 
  • Then I asked him how many parts the paper was divided in?
  •  Each time he counted and answered accordingly
  • I then wrote the fractions on each half for him to show how each part was a fraction of the whole.
  • He then practiced coloring fractions on various worksheets I found online as well as in his math notebook. 
Fractions worksheets I used:

My favourite was : 


We also used:

The other day, we repeated the activity. This time round I made him fold the paper and make different fractions. 












He made...... 1/2, 1/4, 1/3 and 1/8



Then he asked for more paper saying.....


"I want to try making bigger fractions"


Once he was done folding he opened the folds excitedly and counted how many parts he got each time. I loved the fact that without realizing he got his answers fast by doubling and skip counting, showing multiplication readiness.

This time he got.......1/6, 1/10, 1/12 and 1/25



In fact, that whole day he kept folding paper from time to time, trying to make smaller and smaller folds. In the end, he was quite pleased with himself for making:

 1/28, 1/32 and even 1/50 :) 
Mashallah!


For our Other Fraction Activities check out


Fractions # 2


Fractions # 3

Here are some more Fraction worksheets and games I plan to use:

You'e got to love the Pizza Fraction Printables there!

Fractions in a circle 

Absolutely Awesome Teaching Fractions Link

Interesting 

Do share any other cool links you know of.


2 comments:

Sara said...

Folding folder for fractions is something I hadn't thought of- thank you for sharing.

Umm Umamah said...

Glad you found the idea useful. I have 3 more posts on fractions waiting to go up. Will let you know when I post them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...