WITH MEASURING CUPS
Honestly! This post has been in drafts for the longest time. My apologies. This was a very simple and effective way to reinforce our previous fraction lessons. I got 4 small, 1 cup measuring cups and 1 big, 4 cup measuring cup from the $ store.
This is how we did this activity
- Fill 2 cups of water in the big measuring cup
- Pour water in one of the small measuring cups upto the 1 cup mark
- Look into the big cup and see how much water is left. Make the child observe. (Answer =1 cup, 2-1=1)
- Now pour water in the 2nd small measuring cup upto the 1/2 cup mark
- Again, look into the big cup and see how much water is left. Make the child observe. (Answer =1/2 cup, 1-1/2=1/2)
- Next pour water in the 3rd small measuring cup upto the 1/4 cup mark
- Once again look into the big cup and see how much water is left now. Make the child observe. (Answer =1/4 cup, 1/2-1/4=1/4)
- Lastly let the child pour water back and fourth to all measuring marks and discuss what they observe
I let Lil Muallim # 2 then play around with the cups pouring back and forth. I let him do it just visually till he really got it !
Now playing with water is fun any time.... and then when Ummi not only let's you play with it in the study room, but actually set's up a tray for you to do it. rest assured they will come back to it again and again Alhumdolillah
Finally once I felt he saw the relation in his measuring and fractions, I made him write do it and then write in it his Math Notebook.